The Great Starvation Experiment- The Study That Changed The World
The Great Starvation Experiment was conducted just after the Second World War. A group of male participants were gathered and were fed a regular diet consisting of around 3,200 calories daily.
Following this, the men entered a starvation phase. It lasted 6 months and they were restricted to 1600 calories.
During the period the men endured a large number of both physical and psychological stresses:
- Significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis. In fact, in one case the depression and emotional distress was so extreme, they self-mutilated, cut three fingers off to be exact. Hmmm, perhaps it’s no wonder calorie restricters and dieters are a NIGHTMARE to be around. Have you ever tried? They can sometimes act completely insane.
- Signs of social withdrawal, isolation and sexual disinterest. (HINT- to be great in bed, carb the fuck up!)
- A reported decline in concentration, judgement and comprehension.
- Some participants began to experience edema in the extremities of their bodies. This was most likely due to the lack of plasma in their bodies red blood cells. After all, the ability to construct key proteins such as albumin hinges upon the energy intake.
- The participants basal metabolic rate also saw a harsh decline. Notably, resting heart rate dropped by an average of 2o beats per minute along with a reduction in body temperature and a change in respiratory rates. This was the body attempting to slow the mens’ metabolisms down, in a last plight to save as many calories as possible.
- Participants reported feeling cold all the time.
- Perhaps one of the worst reported side effects was that the hearts of all participants reduced in size along with a blood volume reduction of 10%.
As we know our blood carries oxygen to our muscles which allows us to perform exercises, both complex and simple. How does anyone think our bodies will be able to transport oxygen and produce energy on only 1600 calories while exercising and functioning in life?
Why does this matter?
The main takeaway here is that this is the diet many ‘celebrity fitness’ or ‘get fit quick’ guides advise. A low calorie, low energy diet that achieves slimming results, fast. So fast in fact, that soon enough you’ll be trying to crawl out of an anorexic hole.
That or binging out on food and piling the weight back on. In fact, the men studied, binged until the point of sickness with some even having to be admitted to hospital in order for their stomachs to be pumped.
And people think young boys and girls should be under the same advice? That’s insane! Any advice that suggest a low calorie diet should be ignored immediately.
All the mens bodies were in panic and were engaged in a desperate fight to survive. Thousands should not have to endure the same.